Website UN World Food Programme (WFP)
The World Food Programme is the food-assistance branch of the United Nations. It is the world's largest humanitarian organization focused on hunger and food security, and the largest provider of school meals. Founded in 1961, it is headquartered in Rome and has offices in 80 countries.
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance
Terms of Reference:
Emergency Operations Division (EME) supports WFP’s Regional Bureaus (RBs), Country Offices (COs) and partners to prepare and respond to current and future emergencies in a rapidly changing operational environment. The division contributes to WFP’s strategic goal of achieving Zero Hunger by 2030 by ensuring the organization’s readiness for the future. EME provides field-oriented support by steering and convening the organization while focusing on forward-looking preparedness, readiness analysis, actions, and support to sudden and slow onset emergencies with swift, coordinated, and integrated responses.
Emergency preparedness is a proven tool and a critical strategic investment to achieve faster, more effective, and cost-efficient emergency responses. The return-on-investment study conducted in 2017 and 2019 concluded that investing in preparedness yields significant savings in subsequent emergency responses and better preserves development gains from shocks. WFP is strengthening its capacity for emergency preparedness by managing risks in advance, instead of reacting to events, to ensure that scarce resources are utilized effectively and strategically to save lives. The Emergency Preparedness team in EME will be driving the organizational shift in the coming years and looking for experienced and motivated staff to join the team.
The Emergency Preparedness team within the Early Warning, Preparedness and Analysis Unit is responsible for supporting COs and RBs in ensuring all the preparedness actions are put in place to enhance WFP’s readiness and response capacities that will help effectively mitigate, minimize the impact by any shocks and/or provide timely life-saving assistance in case of any emergencies. The incumbent of this position is expected to work closely with various EME units, HQ divisions and RBs/COs to ensure necessary actions are taken/put in place prior to any shocks.
- Establish and implement an operational Emergency Preparedness work plan, including the mapping and tracking of priority countries, activities, action plans and lessons learned.
- Provide guidance and support related to Emergency Preparedness to RBs/COs to ensure that country operations are consistent with WFP policies, Executive Board decisions, and other relevant guidance.
- Provide support on emergency preparedness planning, including contributing to building country/regional specific scenarios and developing a concept of operations.
- Provide technical advice or mobilise technical expertise on various areas related to Emergency Preparedness, including assessment and analysis, design, types of activities, transfer modalities, deployment and testing of innovative approaches, and the development of strategies to support government efforts on Emergency Preparedness.
- Perform as the secretariat to the WFP Preparedness Network and manage action plans and progresses, and coordinate with various HQ divisions and RBs/COs.
- As a part of the WFP Preparedness Network, support COs/RBs to ensure preparedness actions are put in place, including joining field missions to priority COs/RBs.
- Document country case studies from operational preparedness support in priority countries.
- Provide technical inputs and other support to cross-functional and interagency discussions on global preparedness approaches, initiatives, and toolkits.
- Contribute to developing evidence-based, field-tested Emergency Preparedness guidance in line with both the organizational strategy and the practical realities of operating in the field in order to ensure a clear and strong connection between HQ and field operations.
- Establish and maintain operational partnerships to identify opportunities for collaborative approaches and initiatives that improve assistance packages and support advocacy work.
- Manage the preparation and dissemination of critical reports, publications, and a variety of information products or proposals for internal or external use.
- Contribute to resources mobilizations efforts for emergency preparedness, including proposal preparations.
- Other as required.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
Advanced degree in one or more of the following disciplines: political science, sociology, economics, business management, operations management, development studies, communication, or international development. Additional qualifications in computer science, information management, statistics is desirable.
- Minimum 3 years of postgraduate, progressively responsible experience related to reporting, monitoring and evaluation, project design/management, food security programme implementation.
- Minimum a few years of emergency field experience is critical and previous WFP experiences can be an asset.
- Has experiences working in emergencies
- Has experiences working in the field of Disaster Risk Reduction and/or Emergency Preparedness
- Has strong project management skills, teamwork talents and excellent writing skills
Knowledge and skills:
- Excellent ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing, Excellent written skills in English.
- Ability to deliver results through planning and organizing own activities effectively.
- Ability to successfully manage multiple analysis and reporting requests in a deadline-driven environment.
- Ability to work in a team and establish effective working relations with persons of different nationalities and cultural backgrounds.
- Ability to meet strict deadlines.
- Excellent command of English (Oral and Written).
- Fluent or intermediate knowledge of another UN official language (Arabic, French, Spanish, Russian or Chinese) or Portuguese (one of WFP’s working languages) is desirable.
Terms and Conditions
WFP offers a competitive compensation package which will be determined by the contract type and selected candidate’s qualifications and experience.
Please visit the following websites for detailed information on working with WFP.
http://www.wfp.org Click on: “Our work” and “Countries” to learn more about WFP’s operations.
Deadline for applications: 20 Aug 2022
Ref.: VA No. 171081
Qualified female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
To apply for this job please visit career5.successfactors.eu.